A Book for a Life

Paper and Fire: The Great Library - Rachel Caine

Jess is back at it again but this time, he has nothing to lose. In the second installment of the The Great Library series Jess has a few regrets that need to be righted and is willing to die to make it happen. He must band together his cohorts to save a life of one of their own and maybe find the love he betrayed. This will be his greatest fight and may be his last.

Pro:

- This book has some of the best characters that I have read. I mean Jess loves to read and comes from a book smuggling family. He is obsessed with reading books and not just from a kindle like a device but real paper with ink and all the feels honest to god books. Isn't that what everyone wants? He is unforgiving in his loyalty and passion for the fries that have become family to him. But I think it's the supporting characters that really come to shine in this book. We get to know Khalila, Dario, Santi, Wolf and Morgan as more than Jess' new found family but more as fuller and bolder characters that have a past of their own as well as motives.

-The pace of the book is non-stop and made me want to never put the book down. I was always on the edge of my seat and yelling at the book as if I was watching an intense sporting match. I was so invested in the plot that it felt as if I was there with them when they were trying to rescue Thomas. I loved that the characters had to rely mostly on their knowledge and wit rather than brute force. But then again they are scholars and librarians at heart.

- I love when books make me face hard questions or situations. Looking at what I would do in certain situations. I love books and would love to be a scholar in which I am surrounded by them daily. But knowledge is power and can be used against the masses. The book made me deal with choosing between morals. Because for many of the characters this choice had to be made. Is a book more important than a life? The theme made me think of book burning which has been done for centuries to censor certain ideas and thoughts from the public. Who gets to decide what is right and what should be censored?

Cons:

- That the book finished and I have to wait for the next one :/

Quotes:

-Instead, he'd found hope and hope hurt

- He needed the feeling of motion, even if it was only an illusion of progress

- A few books short of a full library

- Revolution rarely comes from those in charge

-Books spoke mind to mind, soul to soul across the abyss of time and distance

-Sometimes the light's just too bright

-Taking someone's will, someone's freedom... it kills the heart and then the soul.

This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review