The Seventh Bride - Kingfisher

This book took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting the story that Kingfisher wrote. The story begins with Rhea, a simple miller's daughter. Her hand in marriage has been asked by a Lord and friend of the local Viscount. This arrangement seems strange to everyone since she seems to be quite ordinary. She is invited to the Lord's home and finds that she is trapped and must complete various tasks while at the Manor. While she is there she discovers the Lord has been keeping a secret.

The book had a very good pace to it and never felt as if it was dragging. There was enough missing information that kept me intrigued and pushed me to read more so I could try to solve the puzzle with the information I had. The only negative was there was not enough information on the other wives. I would have liked to get to know them a little better. They seemed a little one dimensional and would have given the reader a little more depth to the story.

I enjoyed Rhea's journey and how she grew from her experiences. She is every girl in how she describes herself and in how she can sometimes doubt her abilities. In the end she becomes a heroine; displaying that she can draw strength and help from others. The perfect match to Rhea was the hedgehog she meets along the white road. It stole the spotlight and makes me want to get one as a companion.

Received digital copy from publisher